It is important to be aware of the quality of water that runs through your home. It affects the water you drink, the water you use for cooking, in your washing machine, shower, and sometimes even the water you use in the garden can raise concern. Although there isn’t much you can do to change the water quality that flows to your home, you can improve it before it flows through your home by using a whole house water filtration system.
There are so many different brands and models of whole house water filters. They all have different ratings and technical specs, it can be confusing to know which one is right for you. Each is designed to fulfill specific needs, and everybody’s needs are different depending on where you live and the quality of water in your house.
In this guide, we will go over some considerations to keep in mind when purchasing a whole home water filter and we’ll outline a few different models and types of filters available on the market today.
Whole House Water Filter Reviews – Top 5 for 2017
1.) 3M Aqua Pure AP903 Whole House Water Filtration System
- Cold water carbon filter that filters out chlorine as well as other particles
- FDA certified
- Stainless steel head prevents corrosion
- High flow rate – allows a flow of up to 20 gallons of filtered water each minute
- Filter cartridge lasts 12 months and is easy and clean to replace
- Eliminates chlorine taste & smell
- 5 micron filter
- 20 gal/minute flow rate
- Can get clogged with large particles. A simple solution is to install another filter in front of this one, such as the GE GXWH04F, to catch the larger particles first.
This carbon filter will take out the smell and taste of chlorine as well as remove sediment, rust, and dirt. Its cartridge change-out system was an industry first – designed to make it easier as well as minimize spills while changing the filter.
This is a top quality home water filtration system. The 5 micron filter does an incredible job of filtering out chlorine taste, odor, sediment, dirt and rust. It is very easy to maintain and change cartridges whenever necessary.
- 3/4" stainless steel threads
- Inexpensive (just over $40)
- Changing the filter is very easy and clean
- Doesn't filter out chlorine or other higher level chemicals with the included filters. Simple solution is to purchase a filter for your specific filtration needs
The Watts WH-LD water filter system is quite a find! It is a solid system that has a multi-filter flow for thorough filtration. It’s NSF approved and built with quality parts at an affordable price.
The Watts WH-LD Whole House Filter is a decent filter for an affordable price. Although it doesn’t filter out chlorine and some other particles, it is the perfect companion to put in front of a filter with a smaller micron rating, such as the 3M AP903 (above).
- Big Blue housing is notably durable and strong
- High flow rate
- Lightweight and compact for easy filter changes
- Filter cartridge is not included. However, they are cheap to purchase on their own and you will have the option to buy the filter that is right for your water quality.
A filter housing kit that includes everything you need for installation (note filter media cartridge is sold separately). The Aquafilter Plus Whole House Water Filter System is a heavy duty setup with Big Blue housing and a reinforced pump that will withstand chemicals to maintain the unit’s integrity.
Although it doesn’t come with a filter cartridge, this allows you to chose the exact media that is required for your needs and customize your set-up. The sturdiness of the housing is ideal for more extreme weather conditions. Tools are also include which makes installation that much easier.
- Comes with an extra set of 3 filters so your first change is already included in the price
- Easy installation
- Eliminates bad smells and tastes
- Not uncommon to other whole house water filtration systems but it requires frequent filter changes - recommended every 3 months.
This is one of the most comprehensive whole house water filtration systems. Each of the 3 stages involves completely different filters that each serve their own purpose and filtering capabilities.
This is a top whole house reverse osmosis system that is an excellent choice if the quality of your local water is poor or if you just wish to have the cleanest water possible. It is one of the most thorough water filters on the market. And if it’s good enough for bottled water brands, then it’s a smart choice for you and your family.
- Fantastic price
- A great entry level product for those who may not need a high level of filter for their local water
- Ideal for whole house or point of use (eg. under sink)
- The filter that's included is only to reduce and remove sediments, rust, and other larger particles.
The DuPont Home Water Filter System does a great job for a great price – in fact, one of the lowest prices of any filter system around.
This is a great system to put in front of POU filters or as a pre-filter to install in front of a fine filtering system to help reduce clogging. Due to the price, you could buy 2 or 3 and use them together, using different filter medium in each to create a custom system that is just as powerful and thorough as some of the higher priced models.
How to Choose The Best Whole House Water Filter
Unwanted chemicals, minerals, sediments, lead and even rust can be found in many municipal water supplies by the time it reaches your home. Depending on your local supply, you may have safe, drinkable water but it has a bad taste. Perhaps it causes dry or irritated skin after you bathe. In some places, the water in your house is completely undrinkable, not suitable for bathing and not even clean enough to wash your clothes in.
Contaminated water can also lead to limescale crust in the water pipes throughout your house. Not only is this unhealthy but, just 1 mm of this build up can increase your monthly energy consumption by 10%.
So, what are some things that you should consider before buying the best whole house water filtration system for your needs?
- Find out what is in the water that flows through your house – in order to know what type of filter you need, you’ll need to know what chemicals and minerals are in your municipal water that comes out of your taps. Your water utility company should have an annual report for your area. There are also home tests that you conduct yourself.
- Choose whether you want a POE or POU filter – POE (Point Of Entry) filters are installed at the main water line, POU (Point Of Use) filters are installed closer to where the water will be used like the kitchen or bathroom sink. A POU filter can be helpful if you want to filter water coming out of a specific source (like the kitchen sink), but if you want to filter all of the water running through your whole home then a POE filter is what you need.
- Make sure that any whole home water filter you choose is NSF or FDA certified. This will ensure it will actually do its job. A cheap, non certified filter will not stand up to the test.
Once you have these things determined, then you can narrow the filter type, brands and models to consider.
When it comes to an important decision like choosing your complete home water filtration system, then there are some great options for your home that will give you high quality water and protect your pipes from damage.
The most complete whole house water filtration system reviewed here definitely would be the Reverse Osmosis Revolution Whole House 3-Stage Water Filtration System, but that doesn’t mean that it is the right system for you. It all depends on your needs based on the quality of your local water flowing to your house.
A price conscious option would be to use the DuPont Universal Whole House Filtration System, purchase multiple units that can be then customized with different quality cartridges depending on your unique needs for your municipality’s water. Maybe you have higher levels of rust but no problems with chlorine – then you could use two rust-appropriate filters to more thoroughly clean your water.
Regardless of your choice, a whole home water filter is a worthwhile investment for any house which will make your tap water safer to drink, taste better and even save you money. You won’t go wrong with any of the top 5 reviewed here, as they are some of the best whole home water filtration systems on the market.